Here are some of the main differences between my Building a Second Brain methodology and others.
1. This isn’t yet another method for how to be successful
It is the method that prepares you to benefit from all those other methods – how to gather and organize the knowledge you need to make use of the knowledge from other sources.
2. This isn’t a monolithic system that you have to implement perfectly to get any value from
Applying even one or two of the methods taught can revolutionize your productivity and learning.
3. This method doesn’t assume you have any particular pre-existing knowledge or skills
It only requires you to have the most basic familiarity with the basics of using a computer.
4. This method doesn’t force you into a one-size-fits-all box
It equips you to develop a system adapted to your specific needs and goals.
5. This method isn’t abstract and theoretical
It were developed in the trenches of running a real business, not in a laboratory or classroom, which means it is highly practical and useful in the real world.
6. This method isn’t a random collection of disconnected “tips and tricks”
It is a holistic system that works in an integrated way to capture, organize, and share your ideas
7. This method doesn’t exhort you to work even harder and do even more
It teaches you how to do more with less, how to use the sources of leverage available to you, and to offload as much effort as possible to computers.
8. This method isn’t about optimizing or perfecting yourself
It’s about optimizing an external system so you are free to imagine, create, and simply relax.
9. This method doesn’t condemn technology and the internet as pure evils
It teaches a balanced approach to using these amazing inventions to enhance creative work.
10. This method isn’t about forcing you to work in a certain way
It’s about providing a support system so you can create value no matter how you decide to work, and a safety net so you have the confidence that nothing is falling through the cracks.
The Building a Second Brain method combines practical technology skills with the bigger picture of how and why personal knowledge management can transform your career, your business, and your life.
Building a Second Brain focuses on practical skills, but doesn’t stop there: it also cultivates the deeper mindset and the paradigm shifts necessary to thrive in an age of information abundance.
Subscribe to Praxis, our members-only blog exploring the future of productivity, for just $10/month. Or follow us for free content via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or YouTube.